Thursday, April 7, 2016

Celebrating Failure

1)      Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time.
There have been several occasions where I feel I have failed in this class. Almost all of my interview exercises didn’t go as planned. For a lot of them, I just gave up and opted to do the extra credit instead.
2)      Tell us what you learned from it. 
I learned that it’s okay to accept the fact that not everything will be perfect. It’s ok that I don’t want to post videos for some of the assignments in this class as long as I know that I can still earn an A by doing extra credit. I tried my best for some of these and being that I am studying abroad, there was only so much I could do.
3)      Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were four months ago?

Honestly this class has helped me to take risks a little more, because I did push myself out of my comfort zone and tried to complete the video assignments, even though I failed. At other times in life I have failed, and it only made me realize that I was either not trying hard enough, or it was just not the right thing for me to by trying. That is okay. Everyone has something that they excel in, and things they will never really be that great at. Accepting failure is a big part of accepting yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey! I can completely relate to your post because I could have easily had a much better grade in this class. No, I don't have a bad one. But I was simply way too lazy when it came to the video assignments, and I 1) didn't want to go out and find people and 2) was too nervous/embarrassed about it. So I feel like I also failed at that part of this course, but I guess it happens! Sorry I can't share my post with you, I didn't complete this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,

    Nice post! I found it very relatable. Like you, my interview posts never went as well as I wished. I have been working on my extra credit a lot... I like how you accepted failure, that is something that I struggle with. I also agree that this class has helped me take some more risks than normal. Great job and great post! You can check out my Celebrating Failure post here: http://taylertibbits.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete